Monday, April 15, 2013

Scale jumping

Had I blogged yesterday, I would have come back saying I'd lost 14.5lbs!!

However, I got up this morning and it had jumped back up so I am currently down 12 lbs. 

Today I wanted to write about how we handle scale fluxuations.

I know many many people in program hide their scales because the number on the scale determines how they will feel or take-on the day at hand. 
  • If the scale number is down, they'll be giddy and prance around like they have all the answers and sometimes think they can go back to old unhealthy eating behaviors.
  • If the scale number is up, they'll punish themselves by doing crazy things with food (either under or over eating), their mood will be crabby and/or sullen. 
I am forever grateful to my Overeaters Anonymous program that reminds me that the number on the scale is just a tool to let me know how I'm progressing, and that the number fluxuates all throughout the day/week/month/ even year.  The only reason that number is important is in watching the trend of what it does over time. 
AND it is not the only thing we watch over time.
  • We watch how our clothes fit
  • We watch how our bodies are responding to the food (meaning a reduction in intestinal distress or heartburn)
  • We watch our cravings.

So a suggestion.  If you are going to use the scale, please remember it's a tool to watch trends.  When the number controls you, please consider giving your scale away.  Only use it monthly or quarterly.  That way you won't see all the daily fluxuations.  Let go and let God be the handler of your weight.  It's in His hands.

For today, I'm very grateful I can see the importance of the numbers on the scale toward my ultimate goal of a healthy body weight, but that I am not letting the numbers control me.


No comments:

Post a Comment